The terracotta rooftops of Montepulciano, most famous for its ‘Vino Nobile’ wines, are huddled along a narrow limestone ridge, 600m above sea level. A long, winding street, the Corso climbs up to the main square, at the summit of the hill. The town is encircled by 16th-century fortified walls.
Montepulciano’s streets are crammed with Renaissance palazzi and churches, wine shops and enoteche (singular – enoteca: wine-bar).
The expansive main square, Piazza Grande, situated at the highest point in town, features the Duomo dating back to 1570 with its rough unfinished facade, the 14th-century Palazzo Comunale (town hall) offering panoramic views from its terrazzo, the Palazzo Contucci and the 16th-century well, Il Pozzo dei Grifi e dei Leoni, featurig the Medici coat of arms (as a nod to Florence), supported by lions and the griffin, representing Montepulciano.